Thursday, March 14, 2013

I'm Back with an Avon Haul & First Impression!

Sorry I've been gone so long... but that is life.  I blog for fun, not for money, so when things get rough (our family gets sick, work gets hectic, etc) then the fun gets pushed aside for a while.  But now I'm back and I have a new camera!

On to the products:


Glimmersticks Eyeliner in Nocturnal

I was looking for a liner for spring that was warmer and less intense than black but not brown... and I found it in Nocturnal, a kind of blackened plum. I like it.

Always On Point Eyeliner in Black

This is a new offering from Avon.  It has a built-in sharpener in the cap, and by built-in, I mean that you don't do anything but put the cap on and the eyeliner stays sharpened.  Replacing the cap also automatically feeds more product up, so beware of taking the cap off and putting it back on repeatedly, because each time you do that you are sharpening the tip.  This can be wasteful.  Product goes on smoothly if not somewhat sheer at first, but buildable to a nice black, although I haven't been able to get that "liquid" look pictured in the brochure.

Totally Kissable Lipsticks in Natural Glow and Loving Lilac

When I saw Natural Glow in the tube, I thought, Now this is a nude I can love!  Unfortunately, it goes on too sheer and with a touch too much shimmer to be exactly what I'm looking for, but it will still be nice to wear.

Loving Lilac appears to be very purple in the tube but leans slightly berry on the lips.  There is a barely-detectable amount of iridescent shimmer in the formula, which is interesting.  I don't usually go for purpley shades on my lips, but I like something different every now and then and this looks nice on.

Both shades have a sweet, cookie-like scent and a wonderfully moisturizing, lightweight feel.  I will likely be purchasing more shades in the future.

Totally Kissable Lipgloss in Butter Me Up

Here is where I am once again disappointed in an Avon lipgloss.  I ordered Butter Me Up (top left in the image above) hoping for a light, golden-peach shade.  What I got is a sheer, warm light brown.  Being a pale-skinned girl, I have such a hard time with nudes from Avon.  They are all too dark or orangey!
While the handle on the wand is easy to grip, it is just way too "blingy" and cheap-looking in my opinion.  The applicator is a wide, flat paddle which holds a lot of product so you can avoid double-dipping.  The scent is the same as the lipsticks, although the texture and feel is somewhat, surprisingly, heavier.

By the way, if you are wondering why I swatch lip products on my fingertips, it is because the color shows more true to how it looks on my lips without actually showing my lips.  A swatch on my hand wouldn't be as accurate.  My thanks to Wayne Goss for this tip.

Mother of Pearl Flower Set + Ring
I could have sworn that the picture in the brochure showed this necklace having a tan cord, not a fake metallic gold one!  I may do as Jo Stamey suggested and replace the cord with a golden chain or something else.  The ring fits perfectly in a size 8 and I like it a lot.
That's it for now!

P. S.:  I went to take off the eyeliner swatches from my hand and with just rubbing, I removed the Nocturnal almost completely, but the On Point stuck around pretty stubbornly.  So, "points" to On Point for being smudge-resistant!  lol

This post represents my honest, uncompensated opinionsAll products mentioned were purchased by me with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment