Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tips for Tricky Products: Always On Point Eyeliner, Retractable Lip Brush, & 3-in-1 Sharpener

Have you ever purchased a product or gadget only to get home and realize that you weren't quite sure how to make it work?  I'll admit that I've found myself in that situation more than once!  Which brings me to...

SOME [POTENTIALLY] CONFUSING AVON PRODUCTS:

Always On Point Eyeliner


The moment I opened this, I wanted to know how to push more product up.  Not that I needed to...I just had to know.  Turns out, as you replace the cap, it presses down on the edge of the tube and ratchets out a small amount of the liner, mechanical pencil-style.  This forces the tip of the liner into the sharpener, creating that perfectly sharpened point...whether it needs it or not!  This means that every time you put the lid back on, you are sharpening your pencil, which can be a waste of product.  So I try not to open the thing unless I'm about to really use it, not just touch up.  You can read my brief review with swatches here.



Retractable Lip Brush

I don't really use lip brushes.  But Avon came out with one, and I decided to give it a try.  When it arrived, I immediately noticed the lack of brush bristles...there was a "button" on the end of the brush, but pressing it got me nowhere.  It rattled when I shook it... I was pretty sure that I had gotten a broken product.  But then I put the cap on the back end of the brush, and viola, bristles appeared!  Apparently this is not an uncommon design; I just wasn't familiar with it.  The purpose of having a retractable lip brush is to "load" the brush with the lipstick of your choice and pop it (instead of the whole bulky lipstick tube) into your tiny evening clutch for touch-ups during a glamorous event.




3-in-1 Sharpener
3 in 1 Sharpener


I purchased this sharpener to (obviously) sharpen some of my makeup pencils, but specifically Avon's Big Color line.  They're a large pencil not unlike NYX's Jumbo Pencils or a myriad of others out on the market.  Imagine my surprise when the Avon pencil wouldn't fit into the Avon sharpener!  I actually came across the solution to this issue while reading through the reviews for the sharpener on Avon's site.  A reviewer posted instructions for removing a small collar in the large side to allow larger pencils to fit.  Well... now I know.  And if you didn't before, now you know too!
Note: as of this writing, I CANNOT FIND my sharpener!  Credit to avon.com and ebay.com for these individual pics, which I combined and illustrated.

That's all for now!  Thanks for stopping by -- I hope this was helpful.  :) 

All thoughts stated in this post are my own, honest opinions.  I have not been compensated to review these products, and all were purchased with my own money.
 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! I actually threw away the last one I had because I absolutely could not figure out how to get more product out. It didn't come out on its own for some reason and I just got so frustrated with it that I threw it away! I had another one and have been weary of opening it and finally decided to open it, only to find out it didn't roll up new product either! Thank you goodness for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm glad you were able to keep at least one of them. Although that liner can be a bit weird at first, it is really a great product - one of my favorites! To get the most out of the auto-sharpening feature, make sure you screw the cap on all the way back on as far as it will go. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. I came across the exact same problem with a pur On Point eyeliner. I couldn’t work out how to raise the product out of the tube! I googled it and nothing was said about how to raise it. Then I read your blog and the problem is solved!!! Thank you sooo much !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind reply! Even though I haven't kept up this blog in recent years, it's nice to know that it's still somewhat useful. Enjoy your eyeliner!

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness I found your article about how to get more pencil! I was thinking that you only got a small piece and mine broke after a handful of uses!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a clever design but you aren't alone trying to make sense of it. Thanks for commenting to let me know! <3

      Delete