Thursday, August 15, 2013

Special Avon Haul and First Impressions: Campaign 19

This post was originally much more descriptive -- however, my Blogger app deleted all my hard work!  I didn't feel like writing all that again. :(

Although I normally order only every other campaign, this one was special because this is the one in which we can order items from Avon's new True Color line!  It took a lot of restraint (lol!), but I managed to not go crazy with my order and only pick up a few things that I knew I could use (*cough* wanted really badly).  Check it out!


Ultra Color Rich Lipsticks in Blush Nude and Toasted Rose
If you know me, then you know that I am on a never-ending quest to find the perfect nude lip color (I'm hard to please!).  I decided at the last minute not to order the shade Demure, but after seeing Jo's post of swatches, I will be ordering it after all!  Blush Nude (left) is described as a shimmer finish although it didn't seem very shimmery to me.  Toasted Rose is supposed to be matte...
Toasted Rose actually reminds me a lot of the old Instant Mocha UCR lipstick.  These photos are showing slightly more red than the shades actually are.  They lean on the pink side as in the very top collection photo.
UPDATE: after a few moments' wear, Toasted Rose does indeed settle down to a soft, non-drying matte. Love it.

Ultra Glazewear Lip Gloss in Tickled Pink
This shade in the original packaging and formula was the first Glazewear I ever bought from Avon, and it's been a long time since I've had it.  It's much more pigmented than I remember being (new formula!) but still has that wonderful, non-sticky feel.
It's a warm pink with barely-there golden shimmer; I don't know why Avon classifies this as a creme.  It's the perfect, do-everything gloss for my skintone.

True Color Eye Shadow Quads in Mod Muse and Stone Taupes
The palest shade in the Mod Muse palette (#1) has light blue shimmer!  I found the black to be kind of patchy upon application and a little difficult to work with, but nicely buildable.  My favorite of the two is the Stone Taupes.  The highlight (#1) is matte and so pigmented.  I kind of wish that the darkest shade were a little darker and matte instead of shimmery, though.  Swatched over bare, clean skin as usual.

True Color Eye Shadow Single in Mauved
Hello, my name is Erin and I have an eye shadow addiction.  So when it came time to choose from the singles, it was really tough!  (Hello, Midnight Sparkler!)  I allowed myself one, so that if I wanted to pack really, really light and only bring one shadow, it would be a day-or-night, do everything color.  Well... I'm a little disappointed in this one.  The packaging feels cheap and flimsy.  The shadow itself feels hard and dry, and I had to really scrub with my finger to get much color.  When I put it on my eye with the applicator, I find that I like it a little better and I do get that "my eyes but better" impression.  Still, this isn't what I was hoping for....  (Which means that I get to go back for another, teehee.)

SuperSHOCK Gel Eye Liner Pencil in Blackout
Last but certainly not least, here is the pencil I've been raving about.  I have two in older shades, but I've never tried the black.  I wasn't disappointed!  It glides on smoothly and is black, black, black.  Once it sets, watch out!  It's not going anywhere!  I do have to say that it seems a tad less creamy than the original formula, but that's probably for the better -- less breakage.  Avon, gimme one of these in green!

That's all for now -- I was a good girl!  lol

All thoughts stated in this post are my own, honest opinions.  I have not been compensated to review these products, and all were purchased by me with my own money.

11 comments:

  1. You definitely convinced me on the Stone Taupe Quad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very neutral, basic palette, but sometimes that's exactly what I need. It's very easy for me to get lost in a rainbow of eyeshadow and that's not always appropriate, haha! :D

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I don't wear colorful eye shadows anyway so this is right up my alley :)

      Delete
    3. I threw it on today in the car and it was a breeze to blend out. Perfect for on the go!

      Delete
    4. Eye make-up done in the car? You are a brave girl ;)

      Delete
  2. oh man, I Told myself that I wasn't going to get anymore for a while but that Mod Muse palette and the Toasted Rose lipstick are calling my name:-) I'm pretty sure I'm going to get them with my next order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! :D I'm loving Toasted Rose but not so much the Mod Muse palette. To be honest, the two lightest shades look kind of the same on the lid (although that was without primer). I think I'm going to go back for another gel pencil and single eye shadow myself... lol I am my own best customer.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean, I'm definitely my own best customer;-) I almost got the Mauved shadow single too, but I'm glad I didn't after reading your review. I got Midnight Sparkler though, and it's honestly kind of the same, a little dry and the pigmentation is not as good as the matte shades I picked up.

      Delete
    3. How disappointing! Midnight Sparkler is such a tantalizing name for an eyeshadow. :) Are you going to post some swatches of the other shades you got on your blog? I'd love to see them! I'm considering ordering the Copper single and trying that out instead.

      Delete
  3. I finally found the time to come over and read your blog and I'm so glad I did! I might actually film a video later today of the Mod Muse and Stone Taupes. Your swatches of Mod Muse look so good but on me I felt like that one was really blah. Maybe I need to play with it more? I liked the Taupes a lot though, that's a really nice quad. And I'm glad you mentioned the blue undertones in the Mod Muse, I was thinking that maybe my brush just had some residue from a blue shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for reading! :) I think you're right about Mod Muse being 'blah.' I had to go over those swatches several times to get them to show up. It's definitely not my favorite quad and I wouldn't recommend it. Stone Taupes is much better and I use it just like you mentioned in your video -- as a foolproof neutral eye. Great for last-minute or on-the-go makeup!

      Delete