Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Avon Haul and First Impressions: Campaign 20

Note: I submit my Avon order every other campaign.  This means that I receive products from two campaigns at once, but half as often as the regular timetable.

Here it is, finally!

So, after I took this initial picture, I noticed a recurring blue and neutral color theme... I've done that on more than one occasion.  Subconscious color coordination, I guess!

Elements Refreshing Cleansing Wipes
 This product is a lot like the others on the market -- travel-friendly plastic packaging, peel-top opening, a stack of neatly folded damp wipes inside.  I find that they are soft but strong, and do a decent job of removing makeup.  I like that they aren't too wet or too dry.  My only problem with them is that they have a strong (although not heavy) floral scent.  I always end up rinsing my face and hands after using them.

Anew Clinical Skinvincible Day Lotion
Speaking of scents, even though this facial lotion is unscented, I still detect that beachy, sunscreen scent, just faintly.  I bought this because I've been out in the sun a lot lately (this is very bad for the hyperpigmentation all over my face!) and I typically hate wearing sunscreen -- especially on my face, mostly because of the greasy feel and overpowering smell.  The product itself is fairly lightweight although still moisturizing and could feel a touch greasy on oily skin.  It rubs into my skin easily and doesn't leave a white cast -- so far, so good!

Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in Demure
Demure is a soft "matte" formula, very creamy and smooth on my lips.  It is a light peachy nude shade with decent color payoff.  Another favorite from the new line!

Ultra Color Rich Lipstick Mini in Naturally Nude and Glimmerstick Lip Liner in Nude 
 You may not be able to tell in my fuzzy picture above, but the tip of the liner is broken off.  For some reason, when I tried to swatch it, it just snapped.  Then when I put it on my lips, the product literally rolled off in tiny crumbly bits!  So I wrote on the back of my hand with it until it got past the first part and then it applied normally, like a regular liner.  I don't know if I got a lemon or what!  I'm not wearing it in the pic -- just the swatch.  The lipstick is a light neutral beige and moderately pigmented.  It's not exactly sheer, but not concealer, either.  If it were more opaque, I think it would give me mannequin lips!  It has the same creamy-smooth feel of all the UCR line.

Savage Beauty Limited Edition Collection
Those teals really pop in this picture!  The nail polish, Savage, applies slightly darker once dried.  It did slightly stain my nail since I didn't use a base coat.  I had a tough time getting it to fully dry -- it took forever (hence the smudges)!  Application is smooth and the color is opaque in two coats.

The shadow quad, since it is limited edition, is decorated with golden branches on the front of the case.  Mine arrived a little scuffed. :(
The shades are beautiful and apply so well!  Color payoff is excellent and true to pan.  The first shade is a golden-yellow shimmer; the second shade has golden glitter in it which barely makes it to the lid, and ends up looking matte; the third shade is a beautiful, matte teal; the fourth is kind of a dark taupe with a satin finish.  In the pic below I just played around with the colors on my eye using the sponge applicator -- no foundation, concealer, primer, liner, mascara ... or eyebrows!

Urban Splatter Nail Enamel in Blue Vandalism
Not a fan.  I just can't get into this look!  Here, I've applied it over the Savage polish.  To get a better concentration of the confetti pieces, I laid the brush on my nail instead of swiping it.  I find that the little black strips can catch on things and peel up (however, I failed to put a top coat over it).

SuperSHOCK Gel Eye Liner Pencil in Cobalt
What a gorgeous blue!  I'm a sucker for colorful liners, and this one has my makeup heart.  It is a dark blue shade with royal blue shimmer.  I like that when blended out, it doesn't go gray but still has a blue tone.

Naturals Shower Gel in Spiced Orange & Ginger and Moisture Effective Eye Makeup Remover
 Mmmm... Spiced Orange & Ginger.  Sounds good enough to eat!  It smells to me like sweet citrus and ... caramel?  I don't get much ginger out of it, but then I prefer the real thing over imitation scents any day.  I can barely detect some cinnamon, too.  Perfect for autumn.  :)  The makeup remover is my second bottle and I really like how it doesn't burn my eyes or leave an unbearable residue.  It is unscented (love!) but has an ever so slight mayonnaise smell, in case you were wondering!

That's all for now!  Are you ready for autumn?  Thanks for reading and please post any questions or comments you may have down below!

All thoughts stated in this post are my own, honest opinions.  I have not been compensated to review these products, and all were purchased by me with my own money.

6 comments:

  1. Do you notice a difference in the new makeup wipes vs the old formula? I haven't tried the new ones yet.

    Here's my thoughts on the Skinvincible Day - I think it does have an odor also but to me it smells like raw potatos LOL Weird I know! It seems awfully thick for a lotion but I just attribute that to the high spf. To be honest I didn't really care for it. It just goes on like a sunscreen and I don't like it for under my makeup.

    Also I don't think that Urban Splatter is the best name for a nail polish line. My husband saw that and he was like are you kidding me LOL But I get those little pieces that stick up also and then they drive me nuts until I pick them off.

    That Demure lippie is ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I haven't tried the original ones. The only other wipes I've used from Avon are their nail polish remover squares. I have used several drugstore wipes (like the Olay ones) and Avon's are very competitive.

    Raw potatoes? Haha! Now I need to go back and smell some raw potatoes and then the lotion again to see if I can pick up the connection -- the curiosity is killing me! I agree with you, the lotion is VERY much like a regular sunscreen (which I don't like under my makeup, either). Most of the time my makeup already has some sort of sunscreen in it, and if I'm going to be out sweating in the sun, I don't want to wear makeup anyway. So the benefit for me is that I can wear something that is not too heavy but still protects my face (and is -hopefully- odorless).

    I never thought about the name, Urban Splatter! Yeah, I picked them all off too. :P

    Can't wait for your part two video of the Extralasting Pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the mineral wipes and must say that I prefer them to the new Naturals. I felt l had to nearly pull my lashes out to get the mascara off.
    I think the Urban Splatter is supposed to look like paint splatter...if you use two coats and make sure you have no empty spots on the surface, and if you look at it from a distance. I used Blackout on my toes over Urban Gray and it looked like splatter from that distance but not at all on closer inspection. And yes, the glitter does not lay flat and managed to drive me crazy at night because it would snag on my sheets! Had to get rid of it after three days, my shortest pedicure ever! I love polish but not a fan of this look, I much rather liked the Opal Top Coat even though it looks like someone cut up iridescent Easter basket stuffing (Mylar?) and put it in a bottle LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter grass in a nail polish bottle - exactly! At least those pieces stay stuck down...

      Delete
  4. Urban Splatter is a rip off Lynderella's Connect the Dots nail polish. Its hugely popular in the indie nail polish world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Ten seconds worth of Google images shows me how ignorant I am of the indie nail polish world... Makes sense, then, that Avon created Urban Splatter. They're known for either being way ahead of their time or way behind the times trying to jump on the bandwagon.

      Thank you for the enlightenment!

      Delete