Saturday, September 28, 2013

Avon Haul and First Impressions: Campaigns 21 & 22

Note: I submit my Avon order every other campaign.  This means that I receive products from two campaigns at once, but half as often as the regular timetable.

Hello again!  I have a smaller haul this time around as I've been curbing my spending appetite the closer we get to the holidays.


Here's what I got:

Extralasting Liquid Foundation in Porcelain
 For some reason I thought I had ordered this in the cream-to-powder compact, but the liquid arrived and now I can't remember.  I know I debated about it for a long time... Overall I am very happy to see that Avon has expanded their color range to include the paler girls out there like myself.  I'm a little tan right now from the summertime, but I'll be back to my ghostly pallor before the end of autumn.  This foundation has a light, "clean" scent which doesn't bother me in the slightest and disappears quickly after application.  I didn't apply it to my whole face yet (review coming soon), but in the areas I did, it seemed pretty mattifying and smooth with medium coverage.

Perfect Eyebrow Kit in Deep Brown
Avon now has a brow wax and powder duo!  When this arrived I was very happy to see that the powder was neither too warm nor too pigmented.  I'm still undecided about whether or not I like the wax -- probably because I'm not too used to using it!  It seems kind of ... "slick" to me.  The powder has about average pigmentation and is a little dark on me if applied heavily, but I like it. The mirrored compact is nice, but the dual-ended brush that comes with it is terrible. Each end is the same, oval angled synthetic brush which might be fine for applying the wax, but is too 'fat' to do a detailed job with the powder.

Gel Finish 7-in-1 Nail Enamel in Very Berry
This polish claims to have seven benefits in one: Shine, Gel Finish, Vivid Color, Base Coat, Top Coat, Protection, and Strengthener.  It comes in 12 different shades -- something for everyone.  I haven't tried gel nails, myself, so I can't do a very good job at comparing this polish to an actual gel manicure... but I can compare it to a regular Avon polish, so I might do a regular review on it later instead of just a first impression.  I had a hard time getting the true color of this polish to show up correctly in the pic above. (Please pardon my sloppy job!). It's a lovely, true berry shade, opaque in two coats.

Mascara Guard and Lash Comb
This is one of those 'what the heck, why not' items for me.  I'm happy with the combs I already have, but I haven't tried a mascara guard.  Thanks to my deep-set eyes, I do quite frequently get mascara on my lids and even my upper cheeks.  When I saw the combs on this tool, I thought to myself, "yeah right, those are gonna do nothing!" But they're actually not half bad. Still getting used to using the guard end of it.

Look of Cat's Eye Collection - Long Pendant Necklace
Back in this post I drooled all over the picture of this necklace in the brochure.  It arrived looking just how I imagined it to be (a bit of a surprise, if you are familiar with Avon's reputation!) and I am very happy with it!  It has a minor flaw on the lower right part of the stone, but I'm not worried about it.  Look out for a mani coming soon inspired by this little gem.

Slick Tint Lip Balm in Glossy Wine
I haven't had one of these since I was a tween.  Avon holds such nostalgia for me sometimes!  'Glossy Wine' is the perfect name for this shade.

In other news, you may have noticed a lack of Sneak Peek posts.  Well, honestly... there's not much new or exciting (to me) on the beauty front with Avon lately.  It's all holiday decorations and gift sets -- not my cup of tea.  Don't worry, though!  I'm sure that when New Years' comes around Avon's beauty world will return to normal (and I will be broke once again!)  :-)

That's all for now!  Have you tried the mascara guard yet?  Let me know!

All thoughts stated in this post are my own, honest opinions.  I have not been compensated to review these products, and all were purchased by me with my own money.

2 comments:

  1. The brow kit was a no-go for me, I got Auburn but the color was a medium brown. I agree the synthetic brush is terrible, but using a flat eyeliner brush I was able to apply the way I wanted. I also expected a much smaller compact that would fit in my already overflowing cosmetic bag, I could never use that up and I wear makeup 5 days a week! Overall, I prefer MAC products for my eyebrows. I have been using/selling Avon for three years and have yet to find satisfactory products for my auburn brows.

    I tried the Gel Finish Polish in Barely There. It dries nice and shiny, but is nowhere as glossy as a gel manicure. I ended up going back and adding Seche Vite top coat which made it look just like a gel polish! Of course the real test will be whether it lasts like a gel polish.

    I tried the mascara guard since I find it impossible to put mascara on my lower lashes without smudging on my skin. It was a little awkward to use (I poked myself in the eye LOL) but it did work, although it was a bit of a pain getting the mascara out of the grooves of the guard afterward. The little comb on the end worked well separating the clumps I ended up with this morning.

    Ahhh, Slick Tints! Indeed reminds me of middle school LOL I will have to get one just for kicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had similar difficulties with Avon brow products except that they're usually too red for me. Crazy that their Auburn wouldn't be red enough! I've been using their Jillian Dempsey brow pencil in blonde (surprisingly) and while it's not dark enough, it still gives the impression of fullness. ...but that's discontinued now. I agree with you about the size of the compact (and I use an angled liner brush)...but at least the mirror is good! Lol
    While I like the color of gel polish I chose, the finish and wear have been total let-downs for me. It's not THAT shiny (without a topcoat) and it started chipping after only one day!
    I'm right there with you on the issue of cleaning the mascara guard (and the eye-poking, haha!). Have you tried a spoolie with makeup remover? Worked for me!

    ReplyDelete