Thursday, February 27, 2014

Makeup Maven Prize Bundle #5

Note: I received the items mentioned in this post as part of a prize package for my placement in Avon's Makeup Maven contest in 2012.  All thoughts and opinions stated are my own!


Is it just me, or does this bundle have a peachy-pink color theme running throughout the products?

So this is the last bundle I'll receive as an Avon Makeup Maven ... sadly enough!  I have really enjoyed this makeup adventure with Avon, and I hope that they do it again soon!  (Who doesn't love winning makeup?!)

On a less thrilled note, this bundle was delayed so that many of these items have been available for a while already.  There's not a whole lot of new and exciting to be had here.  For that reason, there are several products which I won't be swatching.

Diamond Duo Perfume and Gloss - Rare Diamonds EDT and Limited Edition Glazewear
This is a holiday set which might still be available in the Outlet.  Rare Diamonds is an Avon staple perfume and this is simply the purse-friendly travel size spray.  The lipgloss is a gorgeous neutral beige-pink with dazzling  iridescent shimmer and is limited edition, so this is the only way you can get it for now.  I didn't swatch it because I'm giving the pair away to a sweet customer of mine who I'm sure would love it. :)

mark. Juice Gems in Snow Peach
Recently mark. repackaged and slightly reformulated their staple glosses, Juice Gems. I've owned a few of the old ones and two things about them always stood out to me: they smell really good and are really sticky.  They now contain a bit more product (0.54 fl. oz. compared to the old 0.5 fl. oz.) and seem a little less sticky to me.  The applicator tip is a little larger, too.
The one I received goes on pretty much clear and very shiny.  The best part: it smells just like yummy ripe peach!

Magix Face Perfector
This is the new and improved 'HD Finish Complex' formula, with new ingredients 'Fleece Flower' and 'Rose Extract'.  I have the old formula but haven't used it much since the soapy scent always put me off.  It goes on invisibly, leaving a powdery-smooth texture on my skin and I've heard that it has a mattifying effect, although I can't personally testify to that since I have mostly dry skin.

Mega Effects Mascara in Black
I personally really like this mascara.  I wrote about it back in June with mixed feelings, but once I got past the learning curve using it (and it dried down just a tad) I've used it regularly in my makeup routine.  The formula is very black, and it builds both length and (some) volume.  My favorite thing about it is that it doesn't flake!

Nail Experts Ridge Filling Base Coat
Hmmm....I'm just going to say it: I'm not a fan.  The formula is thick (as I would expect a ridge-filler to be) and applies practically clear, which is fine.  However, it takes a long time for it as a base coat to dry, and then it doesn't completely fill in or smooth over ridges very well.  My nails aren't that striated, either!  When I used it under a regular nail polish and topcoat, I had more chips than usual.  Pass.  Avon has better base coats than this one.

Ideal Flawless CC Cream in shade Medium
I didn't open this tube because I know it is going to be way too dark for my complexion.  However, I do have a tube of this in my shade, Light, and I like it a lot!  There is a distinct "sunscreen" smell which I'm not fond of, but that disappears quickly enough.  The coverage is very light, maybe just slightly more than the BB cream in my opinion.  I would have to say that it is also less dewy and gives a more satiny/matte finish, while still feeling very moisturizing.  I've been loving it to just minimize the pregnancy-induced dark patches on my chin and nose without it looking like makeup.
Sorry for the scary photo!  I hope you can see the difference -- I can.

mark. Chic Frills Blush
OK.  So I have seen this blush all over the internet because it is so pretty!  It's just as lovely in person, and also HUGE!  There's no mirror, no brush, just a giant pan of blush.  I personally rarely ever use blush due to the natural redness in my face so I will be giving this one away.  If you'd like to see swatches, just google it!  From what I've seen, both shades in the pan are shimmery but not glittery, and the rosy pink color that they make when swirled together are the perfect flush for most skin tones...if you can get past messing up that sweet lacy embossing!

Ultra Color Absolute Lipstick in Tender Mauve
The formula of this lipstick reminds me somewhat of Avon's Totally Kissable line with its smooth, moisturizing texture and sweet scent.  Although instead of smelling vaguely like cookies, this one smells a little fruity and is not at all unpleasant.  Tender Mauve is a medium neutral pink and would probably look good on most skintones.  Avon's claim that lips are left in better condition even after the lipstick is removed is totally true.  After wearing it for an afternoon, my lips feel softer and more moisturized.  Even leftover flaky skin is gone after wearing!  There must be some kind of exfoliant in the formula...it's like a healing balm in a lipstick format.  Love it!  I also have it in the shade Ripe Rose, which looks crazily similar to Tender Mauve.
Left: Ripe Rose - Right: Tender Mauve
Ripe Rose is somewhat warmer and a little less opaque.  I'd say pick one or the other, but not both.  They're practically the same shade.

That's all for now!  Have you tried any of these?  If so, let me know what you think down in the comments below!

P. S.: It is so good to be back!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Erin ! I've missed your posts and wonderful feedback. Congratulations on the pregnancy. Hope all goes well for you ! Helen (Montreal Avon Rep).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Helen! Your comment just made my day. :-) I hope you have an awesome week!

      Delete
  2. Many many thanks for this shade comparison! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

    I really like Ripe Rose, but unfortunately this shade is not available in the Czech Republic. :-( After reading this, I do not have to regret and I will go for Tender Mauve with lightweight heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes,
      I am so glad that this was helpful for you! I use these two shades interchangeably - whichever one I can find first. The formula is wonderful. I hope you enjoy your purchase!

      Delete