Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Avon Extralasting vs. Maybelline Color Tattoo

Yesterday I started a comparison between Avon's Extralasting Eye Pencil in Shimmering Sand (which I posted about in my Campaign 15 & 16 haul) and Maybelline's 24Hr Color Tattoo in Barely Beige.
Here are swatches side-by-side:
 
 Maybelline's is ever so slightly pinker with more pearly shimmer, while Avon's has some larger sparkle.

For the comparison, I applied one product to each eye over bare, clean skin.  No primers, concealers, or any other products.  On the left is Maybelline, applied with my finger and blended with a clean concealer brush.  On the right is Avon, applied from the stick and blended with another clean concealer brush.  As you can see, Avon's is a little more reflective and metallic -- which can be good or  bad, depending on your preference.
 They both seemed to set up at about the same rate, allowing just enough time to blend out the edges.  This is actually a bad color choice to compare since it's hard to see on camera... oops!  But trust me, it's more visible in person.

So I went about my day -- air-conditioned housework, yardwork in 85-degree weather with 76% humidity, periodically chasing down a toddler.

After about 16 hours of wear, I could hardly see any change (which is awesome), so I decided to sleep on it.  Literally!  I slept 7 hours in my makeup and took these photos this morning:


There is some "creasing" on both lids -- at least, I guess you can call it that.  The product in that area is just gone.  Also some is missing in the inner corners, but that may be from subconsciously rubbing my eyes.  Other than that -- the staying power is pretty amazing!  Both color and sparkle remain true.

The claims:
Maybelline - "Cream formula glides on without creasing and keeps color vibrant."
Avon - "Transfer-resistant. Waterproof. Rub- and fade-proof."

The pricepoint:
Maybelline - about $6.99 for .14 oz or 3.96g
Avon - $8.50 reg or $4.99 on sale for .058 oz or 1.64g

The bottom line:
Honestly, I think both products performed very well under the circumstances (did I mention, no primer?!) and I will continue to use both.  While you get more product for your money if you buy Maybelline, I think that the Avon pencils are easier to use and less wasteful, being in a twist-up format.  I also noticed that at the end of the day, after WASHING DISHES BY HAND, the Avon swatch was still there while the Maybelline one was nowhere to be found!  (I'm seriously about to buy a couple more of these Avon shadow sticks, can you tell?)

That's all for now!  Let me know: what do you think of these products?

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I think you just found a dupe for the color tattoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patrice! Actually I think I like the dupe better than the original, lol!

      Delete
  2. I am an Avon Rep from Montreal (Canada). I love your posts. Thanks for sharing !!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada - how exciting! I'm curious to know if you've noticed any differences in products or campaigns between Avon Canada and Avon in the States. Thank you for reading, Helen! :D

      Delete