Saturday, March 22, 2014

Product Spotlight: Big Color Eye Pencils

Avon Big Color Eye Pencils.  Long before I had ever heard of eye shadow primer, these pencils were a key part of my eye makeup. They neutralized the darkness of my lids, amped up bright colors, and helped powder shadows to stick around longer and crease less.  I still use them almost every time I apply a regular dry shadow.  New collections have occasionally been added to the line, and old shades retired.  Well, now I understand that all of them are being discontinued, so before they're completely gone, I just want to share with you my assortment!


First, a disclaimer: I don't have every shade that ever came out in the chubby pencil form.  This is just what I've accumulated over the years.

Smooth Minerals Eye Pencil in Limestone
The pencil that started it all for me...I think this was my 2nd or 3rd one?  It's very old, and I kinda just never threw it out.  It's a sheer, shimmery off-white, blends like a dream, but doesn't set very well.  Despite that, it really helps to make my eye shadow more true to color once applied.

Big Color Eye Pencils in Slate and Vanilla
Slate is a brownish taupe.  Vanilla is a creamy, opaque warm beige.  It's a bit too yellow for me.  Both set very well and don't crease or smudge easily.  These are just two of the "main" BC line -- they've been around a while.
 
Eye Brightening Pencils in Lavender Blue and Frosting
Not technically part of the Big Color range, these were around for a short time in several shimmery, neutral shades.  I used Frosting like I used to use Limestone, going through several pencils.  It wasn't too "white," gave off a nice pearly glow, and set to an excellent base for use under my regular powder shadows.

Big Color Eye Pencils in Lavender Mist, Smoky Sage, Aquamarine,  and Perfect Peach
 For Spring 2013, Avon released this lovely collection to the regular line.  One by one I acquired the whole set!  The stunner for me is Lavender Mist, with its rose-gold shimmer.  So pretty!

Big Color Eye Pencil Diamonds in Blue Starlight and Glistening Emerald
Most recently, Avon introduced this variation in several shades.  Basically, they were darker shades (although kinda sheer once blended out) with silver shimmer.  Meh.  Cute, but not really my thing.


All of the formulas are creamy but not oily, don't dry out in the pencil (or melt in the Texas heat!) and blend out wonderfully.

While it's true that these pencils are being discontinued, I don't know if they're going to be repackaged at a later date and reintroduced, or if this is simply the last we'll see of them.  I have to wonder if part of the reason they're going away is because of the reviews on Avon's U.S. website.  Many reviewers complain that this product doesn't twist up (duh, it sharpens) and that all you get is the little tip you first see when you open the cap (really?!).  Others say that they are no longer sharpen-able since the packaging was switched over to a black composite material instead of wood (get a better sharpener!).  I would hate for that to be the reason.

If you like what you see, get a few before they're gone!

2 comments:

  1. Lol, I've never read the reviews. I bet a lot of those people didn't even try to sharpen them. Probably just figured that since it looks like plastic it must be plastic. A lot of people think you can't sharpen the mark. No Place To Run liners either, Avon might need to rethink the packaging for stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that people just need to get with the program and learn how to use their products, but I'm mean like that! ;-)

      Delete