Sunday, July 20, 2014

Avon Haul and First Impressions: Campaigns 13 & 14 2014

Well, it's not so easy to take photos and blog about my Avon with both a toddler and a newborn around!  There's always somebody begging to be in my arms!  Let's just say that it is an accomplishment right now for me to even get some mascara on sometimes... So let's seize this rare moment that I have to myself and get into what I ordered recently!


Nail Experts Instant Gel Cuticle Remover

I don't normally use a cuticle remover -- just an orange stick.  But lately, I've been noticing that they are rougher than usual (probably from all the extra laundry and dishes around here!) so I decided to give this stuff a try.  It's just a thin, clear gel, and the instructions say to leave on for 15 seconds (but not longer than 1 minute) before pushing cuticles back.  It definitely softens my cuticles without drying them.  On one hand I left it for longer than a minute (probably about 2 or 3), but I didn't experience any side effects that I would have expected from a cuticle remover.  I would say that this gentle product is more suited to be called a "cuticle softener" than a "remover."

Dual-Ended Nail Brush and Dotting Tool
I couldn't find this item on the website anywhere but it is in the regular paper brochures -- for a steal at $0.99!  The brush is very fine and tapered, although not very long.  This means that it will work well for detailed art but stripes may be a little more challenging.  The dotting end is a nice size without being too large.  The overall length fits well in my hand -- just about the size of an ink pen.  I like it!

Double-Sided Foot Brush

I use a pumice block every now and then on my heels, so the idea of having one with a handle seemed like a good idea.  The pumice is natural, although the bristles are synthetic (but they feel nice!)  I like that I can hang it up to dry as opposed to sitting in a puddle of water.  So far, I think this tool is great!  If you're like me and spend a lot of time barefoot or in flip-flops, then a tool like this is a must for nice-looking feet.

Nailwear Pro+ in French Tip White

I needed another bottle of white.  My last one was losing its ability to dry quickly, even though it wasn't goopy (although it was several years old!)  I find that white polish is hard to get right, no matter what brand.  Either it's opaque in one coat and too thick, or it's crazy sheer and a normal consistency.  I think it has something to do with white pigment....  I think that Avon's is just about the right balance between the two.  I get it to be just opaque enough in two coats.

Mega Watt Nail Enamel in Hot Pants

I couldn't find this one on the website anymore, either.  I know it's still available right now for purchase, though -- just ask your rep.  Most of the colors from this limited edition line have been sold out, though -- that's why if you see something you like from Avon and it's limited edition, get it fast!  This shade is a reddish neon pink, but on the pastel side.  I'd almost call it a "soft" neon.  It has some opacity to it but is still sheer enough that it looks best applied over a layer of white....it has a "jelly" quality to it.  This is one thin coat and then one thick coat, and as you can see, some of my natural nail is still visible.  It dries down to a sort of satiny finish that isn't matte, but not exactly glossy either.

Extra Lasting Eye Shadow Pencils in Rich Cocoa, Sapphire, and Shimmering Sand
I picked these up for 3 for $10 -- which is a great deal!  Currently, they're on sale at $4.99 each.  If you've been reading my blog for very long, you know that I have nothing but good things to say about these pencils, so of course I had to add a few more shades to my collection!  The Shimmering Sand shade is simply a backup for the one I'm currently using, so it's not pictured here.  (Here's the link to the swatches and comparison I did to a Maybelline Color Tattoo in a similar shade.)
 Sapphire is a shimmering navy, and Rich Cocoa is a deep smoky brown with a matte finish.

Ultra Color Absolute Lipstick in Creamy Melon and Caring Coral
I love, love, love this lipstick formula.  It's smooth, lightweight, pigmented ... and best of all, it makes my lips so soft and healthy after I'm done wearing it.  (Original review here.)
Creamy Melon is the perfect name for this shade.  It's exactly what I would imagine watermelon ice cream to look like (if there is such a thing).  It's a bright, creamy warm light pink...(I think I need new adjectives.  That was terrible.). It leans on the peachy side in my photo, but in person it looks more pink.  I want to say that Caring Coral is a hot red, but on the sheer side.  Waaaay out of my comfort zone!  I hope I can pull it off!


Questions or input?  Let me know in the comments section below!

*Note: I submit my Avon order every other campaign.  This means that I receive products from two campaigns at once, but half as often as the regular timetable.

All thoughts stated in this post are my own, honest opinions.  I have not been compensated to review these products, and all were purchased by me with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment